Check this extraordinary list of William Faulkner quotes on life, death, and Time, William Faulkner full name William Cuthbert Faulkner, born on 25 September 1897, Mississippi, U.S., is an American novel and short story writer, who wrote many novels and short stories set in the fictional county Yoknapatawpha which is based on Lafayette County, Mississippi where he spent most of his life.
He is one of the most celebrated writers in American literary history. William Faulkner received a Nobel prize in literature in 1949 and two of his novel received Pulitzer for fiction in 1954, THE FABLE, and his last novel THE REIVERS in 1962. William Faulkner had a different view of being a writer which is stated in his quotes, check out this William Faulkner quotes which is said by her.
William Faulkner Quotes with Images
1. How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.
2. The saddest thing about love, joe, is that not only love cannot last forever but even the heartbreak is soon forgotten.
3. The artist doesn’t have time to listen to the critics. The ones who want to be writers read the reviews, the ones who want to write don’t have the time to read reviews.
4. In writing, you must kill all your darlings.
5. Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world… would do this, it would change the earth.
6. To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.
7. Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.
8. Purity is a negative state and therefore contrary to nature.
9. The past is never dead. It’s not even past. All of us labor in webs spun long before we were born.
10. Only when the clock stops do time come to life.
11. Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.
Some Famous William Faulkner Quotes
We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.
Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
Between grief and nothing, I will take grief.
Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.
I never know what I think about something until I read what I’ve written on it.
Facts and truth really don’t have much to do with each other.
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn’t know why they choose him and he’s usually too busy to wonder why.
Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.
Tomorrow night is nothing but one long sleepless wrestle with yesterday’s omissions and regrets.
William Faulkner Quotes on Life
Your illusions are a part of you like your bone and flesh and memory.
Perhaps they were right in putting love into books. Perhaps it could not live anywhere else.
Man is immortal, not because he alone among the creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain.
The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
If a story is in you, it has to come out.
The end of wisdom is to dream high enough to lose the dream in the seeking of it.
The quality of an artist must have is objectivity in judging his work, plus the honesty and courage not to kid himself about it.
Victory without god is mockery and delusion, but defeat with God is not defeated.
And sure enough, even waiting will end. If you just wait long enough.
A man is the sum of his misfortunes. One day you would think misfortune would get tired but then time is your misfortune.
A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others.
The most rewarding experience is having another writer come up to you and say that they started writing because they read my book. That is how writing as a profession continues; readers become writers who inspire new readers.
No man is a failure who is enjoying life.
The writer doesn’t need economic freedom. All he needs is a pencil and some paper.
This is a free country. People have the right to write me letters, and I have the right not to answer them back.
These are some of our favorite William Faulkner quotes
Also Read:- This excellent author Charles Dickens quotes where they teach in quotes how to move forward in your life.